Black hat SEO is most commonly a practice against the guidelines of search engines which is used to rank the sites and pages higher in search engine result page SERP by violating the search engine’s terms of service. The term Black Hat originated from western movies which distinguished the “bad guys” and the “good guys”, good guys are the ones who wear white hats and are referred to as White hat SEO. The black hat techniques include unethical tactics which should not be exercised at all like keyword stuffing, sneaky redirects, cloaking, and using private link networks.
What Exactly Is A Black Hat SEO?
For a business growth appearing in the search results plays a very crucial role but obviously, there’s a wrong and right side to everything similarly for doing search engine optimization there’s a wrong and a right way.
The black hat SEO is considered to be the wrong way, the dark art of black hat does not solve for the users instead it can often end in a penalty from search engines. The usage of black hat SEO for an extended period of time can harm your search engine ranking rather than help it. The algorithms that are designed by the search engines to provide searchers with the best results and great search experience ensure that the results they provide do not include spam. These algorithms’ actions are intended to identify and penalize those that engage in black hat SEO.
SOME RECOGNIZED BLACK HAT SEO TACTICS
Some of the techniques that are involved which should be avoided if you want to stay above board with search engines are-
- Keyword stuffing – to increase the page rank on search result pages, the irrelevant keywords and numbers are filled in the content, this practice is referred to as keyword stuffing. Manipulating sites by unnecessarily adding irrelevant keywords and numbers gives a negative user experience and can also harm your site’s ranking.
- Cloaking – clocking refers to the practice of showing different contents on different pages, for example showing one piece of information to users and the different content to the search engine. Content tailoring is acceptable for a different group of users, for example, you can resize your content screen if someone uses your website from mobile. The change of language according to the country is also acceptable, as long as the content on the page is not changed it is completely acceptable.
- Sneaky redirects – you may have noticed while visiting certain websites it redirects you to other links, the practice of redirecting involves sending users to different URLs from the ones they visited.
- Poor quality content – This is the most commonly practiced in black hat SEO this includes content that is copied and scrapped by a person or bots from several other websites. The Google Panda update in 2011 is playing an important role in managing websites by resolving the issues of duplicate content and low-quality content.
Some other tactics that are considered black hat are- Rich snippets, paid links, link farms, blog comment spam, etc.
Why Avoid Black Hat SEO?
Nowadays search engines have gotten better and sophisticated because of which using black hat SEO without getting caught is unavoidable. Though black hat SEO is not illegal according to webmaster’s guidelines set up by search engines, it is against the rule. The person caught using black hat SEO will be penalized and it can cost you a lot even the search engines will decrease the website ranking or even worse they will completely remove your website.
Ways To Avoid Black Hat SEO
Without any doubt use of black hat SEO and engaging in such mal-practice can cost you a lot, so here are some ways to avoid being a part of it.
- Use of quality content is appreciated- always try to write good quality content, avoid using irrelevant keywords or copying content from other websites. For this the google content guidelines and content creation kits are useful.
- Providing links in exchange of products is strictly prohibited, buying or selling links is considered as black hat exchange which is illegal. The FTC endorsement guidelines are helpful if you are unsure about whether the exchange is ethical.
- Always stay updated with the webmaster’s guidelines so that you will be aware of the black hat tactics and avoid being a part of it.
Black hat SEO is an unethical practice that should not be practiced. The black hat SEO methods include sneaky redirects, keyword stuffing, poor quality content, and many more. These methods are most commonly used to increase the site ranking in the search engine to sell their fake ideas and products.
Along with time most of the search engines such as Google have updated their algorithms and have gotten more sophisticated over time to curb the effects of these traitorous tactics. Engaging in black hat SEO should be avoided if you don’t want to be a part of malicious activities and get penalized. There are some kits and guidelines issued by search engines that can be helpful to ensure that you are not being a part of such unethical practices.
You can also read about the importance SEO to Cybersecurity.